The Oikos Project empowers congregations around the US to align money and mission by creatively using their assets to promote social good.
Through this three-year initiative, congregations, denominations, and networks will participate in an active learning community to re-imagine what they can do with their property to better serve their neighborhoods.
By the end of the Oikos Project, each organization will effectively design and launch a social enterprise that utilizes their church property in some form.
Oikos is the Greek term for household — and it is also the etymological root of economics and ecology.
Impacts of The Oikos Project
The Oikos Project will help congregations:
- Understand the church’s changing context in terms of their ministry, local community, and financial model
- Develop an imagination about how their core mission and theology shapes the use of buildings and property in light of this changing context
- Cultivate Christian practices within their property that effectively fulfill their core mission
- Experiment with new, innovative uses of buildings and property that both further their mission and generate income
- Effectively design and launch a social enterprise utilizing their church property
Who is The Oikos Project Designed For?
The Oikos Project is perfect for your congregation if you:
The nature of the project requires that each participating congregation has strong leadership and effective governance. You need to be part of supporting networks or denominations, and it’s important that you have the capacity to make changes as a result of your involvement.
Supporting organizations such as denominations, seminaries, and other networks are invited to participate.
The starting point in the Oikos Project is our free tool, “What Now?: Congregational Planning in the Age of COVID-19” which will be available free to congregations everywhere in early July 2020. In early 2021 RootedGood will be opening up an accelerator program for 50 congregations and 10 denominations/judicatories/networks to help them start innovative projects that fulfill their mission and purpose, utilize their property in new ways, and generate new income streams. Subscribe below to stay informed about that program launch.
Join our Community
Sign up to be notified about upcoming news and updates.